It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:06 am
Login

lexicon signature 284 amp

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby Jack Luminous » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:14 am

MikeP wrote:
Jack Luminous wrote:
Really, get the G2 !! They're going for cheap these days and the 2 things were voiced for each other. I remember some guy at Lexicon explaining that the Signature 284 was first developped as a prototype for demoing for the G2. They were so pleased with the tone that they decided to make it a full product.

Thanks
I did read that they made the 284 to demo that too.
The only thing I wondered is why have all those amp models in the G2?
Does have a lot of effects though.
What kind of prices have you seen? I have seen them for 7-800.
Thanks I will check them out & read up .

No amp models in the G2... Only pedal sims. Granted, one of the pedal sim is called a "preamp" but it's really a dist pedal with a bit more controls than your usual pedal. All those effects are tailored to go either before the amp input or in the amp loop. I could see the 284/G2 combo as the perfect studio tool in the control room to plug into the console directly or the perfect grab'n go rig for bar gigging... In fact, when I had my my G2, I searched high and low for a 284 vut couldn't find one in Europe. Then I sold the G2 because I needed money but I plan to get another one. I've seen it as low as 500 euros used where I live.
Jack Luminous
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby chacal » Wed May 09, 2007 12:33 pm

bump!

I am about to buy one and so, whatabout hi-gain sounds with the 284? any good? sounds like what?
-
guitar systems / guitar tech for European guitarists
http://www.chkguitarsystems.fr.nf/
sound design
http://soundcloud.com/alexandrechacalcriado
chacal
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby cokemachine » Wed May 09, 2007 6:41 pm

MikeP wrote:
Jack Luminous wrote:
Really, get the G2 !! They're going for cheap these days and the 2 things were voiced for each other. I remember some guy at Lexicon explaining that the Signature 284 was first developped as a prototype for demoing for the G2. They were so pleased with the tone that they decided to make it a full product.

Thanks

Actually the Lexicon 284 is a repackaged version of John MacIntyre's Blusemaster MkII amp. John was working at Actodyne General (i.e. Lace) at the time and there was also a Lace branded version of the 284 prior to the Lexicon debuting. Out of all 3 versions, the MacIntyre definetly sounded the best. The Lace version was identical to the MacIntyre circuit-wise. I do know that the Lexicon 284 featured differenet transformers and had minor circuit differences. Perhaps the biggest drawback to the Lexicon was the crap tubes that it shipped with. The 284 that I had sounded like garbage with the stock tubes. Granted a tube change helped things a bit, but it still lacked much of what I liked in the original MacIntyre. As far as high gain tones, you'd have to use a pedal to get into that territory.
Cokemachine
cokemachine
Small Member
Small Member

Postby Joe Allocco » Thu May 10, 2007 1:43 am

cokemachine wrote:
MikeP wrote:
Jack Luminous wrote:

Thanks

Actually the Lexicon 284 is a repackaged version of John MacIntyre's Blusemaster MkII amp. John was working at Actodyne General (i.e. Lace) at the time and there was also a Lace branded version of the 284 prior to the Lexicon debuting. Out of all 3 versions, the MacIntyre definetly sounded the best. The Lace version was identical to the MacIntyre circuit-wise. I do know that the Lexicon 284 featured differenet transformers and had minor circuit differences. Perhaps the biggest drawback to the Lexicon was the crap tubes that it shipped with. The 284 that I had sounded like garbage with the stock tubes. Granted a tube change helped things a bit, but it still lacked much of what I liked in the original MacIntyre. As far as high gain tones, you'd have to use a pedal to get into that territory.

Cokemachine is right!
The Lexicon signature 284 was basically a:

McIntyre BluesMaker MKII SPL-3 (3 watt stereo amp)
part of a "Lace Continental Console" pretty rare,not many made
mine is number 00016

I'm looking at mine as I type.

It sounds great!!!

I debate month after month do i keep? do i sell?

Sincerely,
Joe Allocco
LaMara Custom, Suhr Classic H/S/H, Egnater M4, VHT 2/50/2, CAE 1x12 w Tone Tubby, Axe-Fx, Egnater Mod 50, Switchblade 8, Axess FX1, BS2 & GRX4, H3000 D/SE, Pedals:AnalogMan, Xotic, Teese, Fulltone, Klon, Barber, Boss, MXR, Ibanez, Arion, Peterson.
Joe Allocco
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby WahmBoomAh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:14 am

Hi ... my first post here (usually at TGP ) I`m here to drudge up an old thread .
I have a 284 and am happy with it ... Did the NOS mod and all`s well .
My complaint is that the touted tube efx loop kind of washes out the definition of my efx .
I wondered if anyone ever messed with this part of the circuit .
I`d love to have a normal non colored efx loop in there and wonder if it`s a doable mod .

thanks, Paul
WahmBoomAh

Postby Jack Luminous » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:58 am

Joe Allocco wrote:
Cokemachine is right!

mine is number 00016

It sounds great!!!

Sincerely,
Joe Allocco

We want to look at it too if you haven't sold it in the meantime ! Please post some pics !! 8)
Jack Luminous
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Joe Allocco » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:51 pm

Jack Luminous wrote:
Joe Allocco wrote:
Cokemachine is right!

mine is number 00016

It sounds great!!!

Sincerely,
Joe Allocco

We want to look at it too if you haven't sold it in the meantime ! Please post some pics !! 8)

Hello Everyone,

here are links to 2 gallerys that contain musical equipment that i am selling

http://gallery.me.com/jpajr09#100038

and

http://gallery.me.com/jpajr09#100046

i just posted 12 or 13 pictures of the McIntyre Bluesmaker MKII SPL-3

Sincerely,
Joe
jpajr09@me.com
LaMara Custom, Suhr Classic H/S/H, Egnater M4, VHT 2/50/2, CAE 1x12 w Tone Tubby, Axe-Fx, Egnater Mod 50, Switchblade 8, Axess FX1, BS2 & GRX4, H3000 D/SE, Pedals:AnalogMan, Xotic, Teese, Fulltone, Klon, Barber, Boss, MXR, Ibanez, Arion, Peterson.
Joe Allocco
Medium Member
Medium Member

Previous

Return to Gear talk